Women's Month

March is the International Women's Month and I wouldn't be true to my feminist core if I didn't blog about it. 

To celebrate this month, I decided to write about the most influential women in my life.  These are the women that I believe embodies the best in being a woman. 

Oprah
I grew up watching Oprah at home.  When I was younger I was so inspired by Oprah's achievement from being a poor black woman to being one of the most influential persons in the world.  Oprah made me believe that you don't have to be beautiful to be a celebrity.  On the contrary, you can be all those that they tease little children about (fat, poor, black and yes, ugly) but if you have the talent and the guts, you can still be successful.

I also loved that she tackles a lot of women issues in her shows and that she has remained one of the most charitable celebrities in all of Hollywood.



Meryl Streep
You would not believe how beautiful this woman is.  She is a goodlooking, sensitive and talented artist. Meryl holds the record for the most Academy Award nominations of any actor, having been nominated 16 times.  She won 2 of those and she even has a lifetime achivement award.

I like that she continues to shine doing age appropriate roles.  She can be the battered wife, the bitchy boss or the crazy mistress, but she is someone we can all relate to.



Favorite Roles:  Devil Wears Prada, Out of Africa

Victoria Beckham
There are women we admire, and those that we simply envy. This I feel both for Victoria.
She was my favorite among the Spice Girls.  I guess because among  the five of them, she is the one I can envision myself looking like when I grow old (yes, tanned lines, skinny legs and all). 

But I love her more now because she has transformed from a stylish, self-centered girl into a devoted and caring family woman.  It seems that she has done everything right. Of course if I have David Beckham as a husband, three adorable, goodlooking children, toned body, numerous product endorsements and millions of cash, I would be devoted too.


Delamar
Yes, I already wrote about how I admire her so much.  She is my ideal self.  I love that she's both girly and smart and rich and happily single (at least until last year) and now ecstatically pregnant. 


My Mom
Aside from my genes, my slim figure and I guess my witticism (or sarcasm, depending on my mood), I got a lot of character traits from my mom.  Like her I am openminded and liberal. She has never been strict with us.  She trusted me enough to allow me to go out of town with friends and to party whenever I want to.  Not to say that she doesn't care, but her trust made me super confident that I am doing the right thing with my life.

Let's end this post with a powerful message from our favorite Lady Gaga:

I'm beautiful in my way
'cause God makes no mistakes
I’m on the right track baby
I was born this way

Don’t hide yourself in regret
Just love yourself and you’re set
I’m on the right track baby
I was born this way

To all women out there who makes me so proud in being a woman, Happy Women's Month!


Comments

Popular Posts