Finally, men are talking about an issue that many women face today.
RAINN (America's largest anti-sexual assault organization and
One of “America’s 100 Best Charities" —Worth magazine) has compiled the ff. statistics on Sexual Assault:
- 44% of victims are under age 18
- 80% are under age 30
Sexual Assault Numbers
- Every 2 minutes, another American is sexually assaulted
- There is an average of 237,868 victims (age 12 or older) of sexual assault each year
Reporting to Police
- 60% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police
- 97% of rapists will never spend a day in jail
- Approximately 2/3 of assaults are committed by someone known to the victim
- 38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance
Even here in our country, rape and sexual assault remain to be one of the most under reported crimes mainly due to fear of bringing shame to oneself and the family. In a 2006 article by Guia Abad, she states:
Women rape victims are victims twice over, by the rapists and by society’s judgment. For a victim of gang rape or multiple rape, the sense of helplessness, rage and shame is amplified.
And we need to do our part to help ease such feelings of shame and helplessness by speaking out about it.
And I am so glad that men are also doing their part.
As the video said:
We need all of you to be part of the solution. This is about respect, it's about responsibility.
It's up to all of us to put an end to sexual assault and that starts with you.
Because one is too many.