Commitment



I am addicted to the TV series HOUSE. I have always said that if I had been able to watch this as a child, I would have become a doctor. What's more interesting about this series (differentiating them from various medical dramas like ER, Greys Anatomy, Private Practice, etc) is that the focus is on the patients and not so much on the doctors' lives. Still seasons 1-4 have given me enough glimpse on their personal lives that I wanted to share with you my most favorite part of the season.

This particular one appeared in Episode 314 titled "Insensitive" of season 3, with the episode set on a Valentines Day. Cameron and Foreman talk about commitment as they do their labworks...

Cameron: "Someday when there's time, I would like to actually have a social life."
Foreman: "Someday? Come on. If there's one thing a good-looking woman can have whenever she wants, it''s a social life."
Cameron: "You mean a sex life."
Foreman: "There's nothing wrong with a little companionship 'til the real thing comes along."
Cameron: "I had the real thing. Forgive me if I don't want to settle."
Foreman: "Right."
Cameron: "What does that mean?"
Foreman: "Nothing."
Cameron: "You think I didn't have the real thing?"
Foreman: "I have no idea what you had."
Cameron: "And yet you're judging it."
Foreman: "It's late. I'm cranky. Sorry."
Cameron: "You think I didn't have the real thing. How could you even know?"
Foreman: "You married a dying man. You thought six months, a year, it'll be tough. But then I'll recover and I'll have the rest of my life. It's like willy-nilly getting the flu or joining the Peace Corps. Short term."
Cameron: "Wow, you nailed it. It's basically like a wasted weekend."
Foreman: "The sacrifices you made were huge. But they were at the height of your love for him. Commitment is only commitment because it has no expiration date. You stand next to someone and watch them floss for 30 years like my parents have then ask for sacrifices. That's how you know the real thing. Cameron, I wasn't criticizing you. People who avoid commitment are people who know what a big thing it is."

Comments

Popular Posts