If I Were A Boy… (Inspired by Beyonce's song)

“You are the opposite of ordinary” – Edward to Bella


I have always armed myself with good quotes, I even thought that if I were a guy, I would have melted women’s heart with the wide collection of memorable lines that I have stored in my head. In fact, there are a lot of things I would have been good at, if I were a guy.



If I were a boy...

I would never court a girl just because I know she likes me.

This one I can never really understand. Having grown up with boys, I can never understand this weird occurrence that happens once a guy learns that a girl likes him. A reverse psychology of some sort happens and he can’t help himself but like her too. Well, I know there are some exceptions, but really, this makes me wonder. Does knowing someone like you increases the chance of you liking her when you would never have noticed her in the first place?

A guy friend of mine explained to me that guys do this because they can’t help but be attracted to women who “appreciates” the kind of guy that they are. Girls whom although they are not making any efforts to “pa impress” are drawn to them. “It’s like she likes me as I am and I don’t have to pretend because she likes my normal self."

I would never make a girl wait on me.

As a girl, I believe that its within our nature to make guys wait. In fact it is within our right to make them wait. Afterall, we have accepted the fact that we are supposed to be "mahinhin" and "mabagal". We are the ones who take an hour to shower and another one or two just choosing our clothes. The ones who can’t really make up our minds even if our lives depended on it.

I would never take up nursing or other girly courses.

I’ve had it with chefs, hairdressers and fashion designers. What was once the world of women are now being dominated by men. Hey, you are tipping the scales of imbalance at your favor. You don’t see a lot of women taking up marine courses or being fishermen right? And last time I looked, men still dominated the construction sites. So why is it that more and more men are taking nursing and culinary arts?

I would take No as a No, not as a tentative yes.

This one is a good one. And I have to accept that its somehow our fault (ladies) that men tend to generalize in this area. But just because some of us are "pakipot", doesn’t mean we all are. Sometimes, a No is a No period. It’s not a euphemism for Yes nor an invitation to pursue harder. It has no hidden meaning that you have to interpret, so its stupid to assume otherwise. It's just two letters that mean a refusal or rejection. One thing you have to know about women, it might take time for us to make up our minds but once we do, it’s very difficult to alter it.

***
I know there are also lot of things men would have been good at if they were women, but personally I think that we're both equals on many levels. Afterall, even I have to admit that we need the other gender sometimes.

Comments

Popular Posts