Lost in Translation


Shanghai
I know I have been remissed with blogging lately, but that's what happens when we are too busy living our lives. Still, my love for writing triggers me to put something out there sometimes.

Ok, I know that not a lot of people is interested in my life. Anyone who's hobby is to check out other people's blog is sadly in need of a diversion. But, I don't blame you. Better that than do drugs right?

So, what have I been doing lately?

Had my first audit with the manuals in language and characters I cannot recognize and with an interpreter too. I could say it was a very educational experience.




I titled this one Lost in Translation because I experienced that while I was in Shanghai
a couple of weeks back. Whoever said that our taxi drivers here are rude, should be shifted off to Shanghai immediately. And I thought I was being smart by asking the secretary to write the name of the mall in Chinese and having a hotel card with me (in Chinese too), but as luck would have it, I still got lost. Lost, alone and confused in Shangahi at 10 pm.

We are lucky that taxi drivers here speak English and Tagalog, at least passengers could understand them. Imagine being driven away and shouted at in a foreign language. Luckily, his very agitated tone and hand movements cued me that he wanted me out of his taxi asap. See, this makes me happy that I live in Manila. I could get lost, sure... but at least I could yell "Help!" and people would not think me crazy, and would actually come to my rescue, which is not the case there.



Traveling for work sucks. If you are like me who enjoys going to places, it is stressful to realize that you can never really explore the place because you are there to work. Trying to manage one's time between work and pleasure is really not my expertise. And I feel guilty for leaving my workaholic boss behind while I try to have fun. Afterall, misery loves company right?

So I'm back at home and at work and I realize that getting lost isn't too bad. First, you get extremely thankful for getting home alive and well. Then, you feel lucky for being part of a race that speaks and understands English. And lastly, you learn that there's no better place than home and that compared to others, Filipino taxi drivers are way nicer and smarter.

How about that, aside from Manny Pacquiao knocking some great boxer down, to make you real proud to be a Filipino?

Comments

Popular Posts