Skip to main content

Black Swan


I never liked movies about dancing and I particularly hate ballet. Somehow those thin, lightweight, graceful, goodlooking, talented women makes me want to weep in envy. Unfortunately, this movie made Natalie Portman bag an Oscar so I was curious to watch it.

I never liked the story. I didn’t get why she kept on having sores and bleeding. And I cannot understand the twisted, somewhat moronic relationship she has with her mother.

There’s a lot of things I can’t figure out from this movie (as with her instructor’s sexual orientation).   I get the dancing though.  And Natalie fits her role as a ballerina.  Other than that, I find this movie weird.

For me, this is a twisted movie about an anorexic, beautiful but mediocre dancer who's obsessed with perfection.


And while I can appreciate its originality, the only saving grace I can see is Mila Kunis. She has this old, classical, mysterious beauty that is uncommon for Hollywood actresses. Plus she portrayed the role of a very likeable villain. This for me is one of her more memorable roles.

Controversy:
Body doubles should be slapped with gag orders. Sarah Lane, the ballet dancer who was hired as a body double continues to claim that majority if not all the dancing shots are hers.  That may be true, but so what? I mean she was paid to be a double. She knows that she’s not and will never be the star. Do you think that she would have made this much buzz if Natalie Portman did not win an Oscar and was slammed by the critics instead?

To end this controversy, the director of the movie had the editor count how many body shots of  Natalie's were shown in the final movie against Sarah's. The results are that there are 139 dance shots in the film and  111 are Natalie Portman untouched. 28 are her dance double Sarah Lane.

"If you do the math that's 80% Natalie Portman. What about duration? The shots that feature the double are wide shots and rarely play for longer than one second. There are two complicated longer dance sequences that we used face replacement. Even so, if we were judging by time over 90% would be Natalie Portman." according to Mr. Aronofsky, the director. 

In this one, I agree. Give the girl a break. She’s an actress not a dancer. And just the fact that she fooled you enough to believe that she did all those dance moves already makes her worthy of an acting award.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The English Patient

There are movie lines...

And then, there are "the movie lines"


The English Patient is one of my all time favorite movie.  It stars the oh-so-mysterious Ralph Fiennes as Count Almasy (who incidentally is also a real person).

It is based on a novel of the same title by Michael Ondaatje (which is also one of my fave writers).

Michael's writing can be described as "imaginative and whimsical."  He likes to write stories about the ravages of war and the interesting people living it.

He also writes about relationships and betrayal.
 "Betrayals in war are childlike compared with our betrayals during peace. New lovers are nervous and tender, but smash everything. For the heart is an organ of fire." And of course, love.

This movie has "the movie lines" to die for.


Almasy to Katherine:  "Swoon, I'll catch you"
If only this statement can be trusted. If only guys are all like this in real life.

Singapore

Singapore is so much like Makati -- tall buildings, fast people & talkative Filipino yuppies. Not so much sights but then again, we were there to overspend on pasalubongs and go retail shopping. I don't want to brag, but between here and Manila, Manila wins hands down (on my own standards). :-)



Our hotel was located at Orchard Rd. and it has (thankfully) Starbucks at the groundfloor. We went down one night only to realize that coffee (as with cigarrettes) is so much more pricey there.

Athough, I must say, the air is worth breathing and the streets are super clean. Thank God for countries who respect the rights of non smokers to nice, clean air.

Lingerie, baby steps and women's liberation

If you ever heard the saying "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" then you can relate to this post.

In Saudi, a 2006 law banning men from working in female apparel and cosmetic stores has never been implemented due to various conservative groups who are opposed to the idea of women working in common areas visited by men and women, like malls.


Finally, the government has decided to enforce this law effective this month after long standing protests by Saudi women.


Strict Saudi law prohibits mingling of unrelated men and women.

Which kind of makes it awkward for women to be accompanied by male relatives in buying their intimate wear from men behind the counter.

"I and many other women like me were always embarrassed to walk into lingerie shops because men were selling the goods," said Saudi shopper Samar Mohammed.

She said that in the past she often bought the wrong underwear "because I was sensitive about explaining what I wanted to a man."
Saudi w…