Beastly

There aren't so many movies that gets me excited.  This one did.

When I heard that this movie will be a retelling of my fave fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, I almost fainted.  Mainly because:
1.  It's a modern take on such a classic fairy tale (sort of Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet)
2.  It stars Alex Pettyfer, who I loved in I am Number 4
3.  It has Neil Patrick Harris, who I think is one of the most lovable gays of our generation.
4.  Beauty is played by a Vanessa Hudgens, which is a surprising choice for this movie

I would say that with an interesting cast such as this, and with a good story to base it on, its hard to get it wrong.  Unfortunately, this movie has got to be one of the most dissapointing I've watched so far.

There was no chemistry between the lead actors.  Alex, though a  wonder to look at is uninteresting while Vanessa looks bored the entire move and is almost unrecognizable(really, one has to wonder which is which). 

Also, if you are basing your movie on such a well loved classic, it's either all or nothing.  Either you commit to retelling it 100% or you modernize it every step of the way.  I just don't get why the writers can't seem to decide on where they want this movie to go.

Honestly, the only saving grace this movie has is Neil Patrick Harris, whose lines seem to project pain and sarcasm at being part of this project.

I especially liked his line "Chicks dig blind guys" and other than that, it is too painful for me to even remember how I managed to stay at my seat for hours.  Not even my newly formed crush for Alex Pettyfer redeemed this movie.

This movie's tagline says "Love is Never Ugly", unfortunately, this movie is.

Now I bought the book.  Hope that its way better than the movie.

Comments

Popular Posts