Winners and whiners

With all the excitement and anticipation brought about by the recently concluded Ms. Universe contest, I am proud (as with my Becky friends) that we got 3rd runner up. And while others may whine that we should have gotten the crown, and the whole solar system knows she deserved it, we must practice graciousness in the face of disappointment. Afterall, we can’t have everything.



And of course, to the 100 million question…

I have always wondered why we make so much fuss about the Q&A portion when clearly, this is a beauty contest. But I guess its just human nature to wish that ladies this beautiful can’t also be that smart. Alas, most of us were disappointed because these batch of contestants really got it all – beauty, body and yes (sigh…) brains.

For the sake of patriotism, I will only focus on the question asked for Ms. Philippines (sorry Lea, that was an uninteresting and a fairly disappointing question).

And the question asked by Judge Viveca Fox:

Would you change your religious beliefs to marry the man you love? Why or why not?

This is a very sensitive question. As we all know, religion is a personal belief. There is no right or wrong answers. Only popular ones. And for Shamcey to answer this without even holding her breath and blinking an eye can already be considered a personal triumph.

“If that person loves me, he should love my God too”. A very idealistic but a winning answer nevertheless. Certainly deserving of the Ms. Universe crown (I know I’m bitter, but so what?)

I can accept that Ms. Angola had a good answer. Afterall, no one can argue about one's "inner beauty". And this is a question which we have been asked too many times and of which each of us has a practiced answer. But still, I can bet my entire savings that as compared to Brazil, Ukraine and China, Shamcey’s answer was the best of the night. The most enlightening, brave and yes, it even has the promise of being controversial.

Many romantics out there would have shouted “Love conquers all!” “God wants you to be happy”, etc.etc.
Religious believers probably screamed “hallelujah” upon hearing the “God is my first love” answer.
And the rest may may just shrug and say “To each is own”

As for me, this is my answer:

“ I am not religious and I don’t have a lovelife. But thanks for the lovely question.”

I guess we lost not because Shamcey is not good (and pretty, confident, smart, among everything else) but because she is so good, she puts all those women with overflowing inner beauty to shame. Let the entire galaxy ponder that!

Let me end this with a post inspired by a friend’s status message in FB, just in case you found yourself having Shamcey as your architect:

Client: “Ah Shamcey, I think you should change the layout. I don’t like it”
Shamcey: “Excuse me, but what do you know about beauty?”
Client: “Eh di ikaw na. Sabi ko nga eh”

Keep on smiling Philippines!

Comments

Popular Posts