Friendship Blues

I woke up this Sunday with some reflective personal thoughts...


Yes, on women, friendship and heartbreaks.


I love my friends.  And I don't want them to get hurt.  But I guess, it's their life.


With friends, giving advise on love, puts one in a risky territory. I am not an expert on relationships, and though I may not give very good advise, I at least tell the truth.  


I know what it feels like to want to save a relationship.  But staying with the wrong person only reinforces the wrong self concept we have for ourselves.  I have always believed that our choices define us.  The quality of our relationships show what we feel we deserve and can expect to be treated by others.


The issue with this is that in the end, we get hurt.  No matter how hard and long we tried. And then we get hurt so much we become afraid to try again.  


For years I have tried to convince myself that men can't be trusted only to realize that its me I don't trust.  I made an error in judgement once, got hurt and doesn't want to be wrong again.  But hey, back then its easier to blame other people and generalize. Easier to believe that "Men can't be trusted" than "I made a fool of myself"


It is because of this fear that I admire women who continue to risk and trust again and again. They say failed relationships will eventually lead you to true love.  But friend, it doesn't hurt to be careful, listen to advise and reach out.


There is nothing more heartbreaking that listening to a brokenhearted friend. 


Our most difficult task as a friend is to offer understanding when we don't understand.  ~Robert Brault

Comments

Popular Posts