Cheap Justice

Photo courtesy of PinoyPundit
Thank God for live streaming!

For all of us ordinary people who have jobs to do and bosses to please, yesterday was an exercise in ingenuity as we tried to find ways to listen to the impeachment trial finale (after losing on IDOL, we now have our own Pinoy finale). 
 
I started listening at around 3 pm and was lucky enough to catch Sen. Santiago’s speech.  What she lacked in diplomacy, she more than made up for flamboyance and a choice of flowery cuss words.  I never thought I would ever hear an honorable senator say “I thought I was unlimited!” in all my lifetime.

Then of course, the most awaited turn of Sen. Lito Lapid, who ironically, by admitting his humble status and lowly background earned some of my respect.

Personally, I find senator Osmena’s speech the most clear, direct and enlightening.

I would also have to applaud the convictions of those  senators  who stood by their principles and gave the “Not Guilty” vote.

It is not easy to go against the general public opinion and I respect anyone who had the balls to do just that.

But if there is indeed a "Rockstar" in this telenovela, it is no other than Congressman Rudy FariƱas who delivered the prosecution's closing argument and made the word "palusot" a memorable term in every Filipino's psyche.


Overall, with a 20 - 3 vote in favor of conviction, it was an interesting and historical finale. 

*********
I admit that we are flawed.  But yesterday’s event gave me hope that we, as a nation can change.  I am not happy that CJ was convicted.  On the contrary, I feel disheartened that the head of the judiciary has been accused and found guilty of these crimes.  What upsets me is the apathy that most of us has shown through this crisis.  I am almost ashamed for a friend who tweeted that same afternoon:  “Listening to Katy Perry on this boring Tuesday afternoon”.  Boring?  Are you from another planet?

Still, I cannot blame those who has given up hope in the integrity of our government and the entire justice system.  But losing hope should not mean that we distance ourselves from what really matters.  And a quest for justice, I believe, is one of the world’s most uniting force.

And what I know is this:  The Chief Justice might not have been corrupt (at least it was never proven), but he is definitely stupid.

He has already admitted to having those bank accounts and not declaring all his money in his SALN.  But to reveal that he is ignorant of the law is ridiculous.  Furthermore, he went on to state that his misinterpretation of the law and non-disclosure of his assets were done in good faith.  Why he based his entire defense strategy on this is beyond me. How can you uphold the law if you do not understand it? If those with exemplary education and lofty titles cannot interpret the law, then who will? And if the head of our justice system can make up these lies, then who can we trust?

And he is stupid to believe that the Filipino people and the Senate would accept this kind of excuse.

It is as good as saying “Yes, I have lied.  Yes, I deceived the people. But I am a good person”.
 
Can anyone see the contradicting concepts here?

I do.

Comments

Popular Posts