The Luckless Writer

It is difficult to live a boring life.

More difficult if you are a writer.

Yes, I am a writer.  But a lot of people do not realize that writing is a difficult process for me, especially as I am always at loss for things to write about.

A very good friend of mine, and an avid follower of my blog once quipped "You should write more often.  Tell us more about your life."

She's married by the way and always thought mothering and housework as boring. Oh, if only she had stayed single long enough to find it bland, repetitive and tiresome.



What she doesn't know is that:  
"I do not live an interesting life.  I only know interesting things."

Or to better put it, I make things look interesting.

And I have always lived up to the saying:

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. ~ Ben Franklin

I try to liven up my days by people watching and making strange conversations.  Truly, a boring if not downright unexciting process. Thank God that I have a gift of humor and an exceptional sarcastic ability that people seem to appreciate.  Add the fact that I like to make fun of myself and doesn't take myself too seriously (I'd like to think I'm "charmingly childish", to use a better term). And it would seem that people like hearing or reading about my opinion no matter how stupid or self-serving it might be.

and the reason why I love writing it so much, despite its challenges?

“Writing is the best way to talk without being interrupted.” ~Jules Renard

Or I can always subscribe to George Orwell's Four Motives of Creation (just to be on the intellectual side) and I am using his exact words on this:

1. Sheer egoism - the desire to seem clever, to be talked about, to be remembered after death, to get your own back on the grown-ups who snubbed you in childhood, etc.

2.  Aesthetic enthusiasm - the desire to share an experience which one feels is valuable and ought not to be missed. 
3.  Historical impulse - the desire to see things as they are, to find out true facts and store them up for the use of posterity.
4. Political purpose - the desire to push the world in a certain direction, to alter other peoples’ idea of the kind of society that they should strive after.

I am pretty sure that I experience one or a combination of those desires while writing.



And so my goal in life as a writer can be summed up by this statement:
There are two kinds of writer: those that make you think, and those that make you wonder." --Brian Aldiss
So do you like reading about my stories?

Note:  Photo courtesy of deviant art

Comments

Popular Posts