Sometimes, some parents are awesome...

Let me direct you to this moving article by a father of a "gender creative" child titled "My Son Wears Dresses".

According to him:

To me, loving a child who is different, a target and seen as vulnerable is my role as a father and decent human being.

I’m a father. I signed on for the job with no strings attached, no caveats, no conditions…


My wife also gets a load of emails from people asking where our son’s father is... To those people I say, I’m right here fathering my son. I want to love him, not change him. My son skipping and twirling in a dress isn't a sign that a strong male figure is missing from his life, to me it’s a sign that a strong male figure is fully vested in his life and committed to protecting him and allowing him to grow into the person who he was created to be. 


One of my favorite TV character is Burt Hummel (played wonderfully by Mike O'Malley) as the father of the oh so gay and lovely Kurt.  Burt is a mechanic, a man an manly as you could ever get.  But he loves his son.  Loves him so much that in one episode where Kurt outed himself, he tells him:

I've known since you were three. All you wanted for your birthday was a pair of sensible heels. I guess I'm not totally in love with the idea, but, if that's who you are, there's nothing I can do about it. And I love you just as much. Ok? 




Indeed, if all people - parents, family, friends, would find understanding and promote acceptance of each and everyone's uniqueness and individuality and respect of everyone's choices, then this world would be such a lovely place to live.

For me, parenting is about acceptance.  It's about letting your children live the kind of life that they want and loving them no matter what.

And to quote my ultimate mom Victoria Beckham on her only daughter Harper:

"If she turns out to be a tomboy - with three brothers, it can happen. I'll be okay with that." 

This for me is awesome parenting!

Comments

Popular Posts