As if I need any more reminders...



My birthday is fast approaching and it is coming at me fast as a bullet train.
 
Let me tell you something… I am not a fan of birthdays, especially mine.
 
Birthdays for me are like any other day, only with the added burden of you getting older (and wiser if you are lucky).
 
Do you know of the song Sunrise Sunset?
 
Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?
I don't remember growing older
When did they?
 
When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he grow to be so tall?
Wasn't it yesterday
When they were small?
 
But for adults like us, birthdays are all about getting old and the pressure to find a partner. 
 
I always hear this one every year on my birthday:  “X year old ka na, dapat ka na mag-asawa”.
 
I think they started telling me this, the year I turned 3.
 
The sad thing about my birthday is that it is a week from Valentine’s Day.  And people, being the nosy ones that they are usually are, ask me a lot of questions related to this event.
 
The scenario would often be like this:
 
What are you doing on your birthday?  Me: Working

What are your birthday plans? Me: Nothing

Who are you celebrating it with? Me: No one

OK, then, do you at least have a valentines date? Me: Noooooooooooooooooo! Leave me alone!!!
 
Happy birthday to me J

Comments

Popular Posts