My Bestfriend's Wedding


 
I hate weddings because it’s one of those times that I am reminded of my solitary existence. See related post here.
 
Which is why I do not understand fate’s insistence that I become a bridesmaid four times over and maid of honor this time around.
 
This time was a friend’s wedding.  A much deserved celebration for  a couple who has gone through so much. 
 
I was made to give a speech as a Maid of Honor and I guess in my haze and hunger, I talked about friendship, made some jokes and such.  I know I talk a lot but my thoughts are clearer and much more meaningful when written, so I’d like to put a much more meaningful message here:
 
Dear Cha,
 
I wanted to find out when we became friends so I searched thru my email to find some clue. I learned that you first emailed me July 2007.  About the practicum arrangements which was a requirement for our Master’s.  This started a series of long conversations - on love, life and laughing moments.
 
How time has flown.  Back then, we were so eager to learn, to go back to school and to finish further studies.
 
The eagerness to learn remains but the last two ones were swallowed by our busyness at work and out of it.  But our friendship survived all that.  We even thrived on exchanging mails on our busy days and hectic moments.
 
I guess that was our anniversary.  The moment we started this friendship which took us to a lot of highs and lows which we both struggled with and survived.  You are the sister that I chose for myself.  And for that I am grateful.  
 
And now, you have another anniversary - marriage to the man of your life.  And I wish you all the best as you celebrate yet the beginning of another friendship. 
 
Because marriage for me is a sort of friendship.  A challenging and more demanding one but with the same elements of love, respect, support and understanding.
 
You have been a good friend to me.  And I am so glad that you have found your male best friend forever.

 

To Francis,
 
I was Charlene’s friend…now I am your friend too.  I guess, this too is our anniversary.

Comments

Popular Posts