The Death of Good Manners


A video of a student asking questions to a presidentiable sparked a debate even among my family.

Something I expected since my sisters came from that same school.

And while I respect their opinions, I do not understand how they can rationally defend such behavior.

As a young child, we were all taught to be polite to our elders, to listen when someone is talking, to be respectful to authority.  As an adult, we were taught question authority,  to speak up, to be inquisitive, to be daring.

And as we mature, we learn to balance all those lessons in every situation.

...To be inquisitive without being rude.

...To question people's belief without hating them.

Perhaps, others would call that student brave.  After all, it takes guts to have such attitude.

But I believe in what Theodore Roosevelt once said:
Politeness is a sign of dignity, not subservience.
So I'd rather have my dignity than be praised for my guts.

Comments

Popular Posts